MV hires new boys’ basketball coach
May 03, 2013 · Jake Krob
With two years of experience working with Mount Vernon athletes, Wes Bruns will take over the reins of the high school boys' basketball program.
Ed Timm, who began as head coach in 2006, left the position after this past winter season. Athletic director Joe Wallace announced the hire of Bruns last week, pending approval by the school board.
"We had a lot of great candidates," Wallace said. "But we kept coming back to Wes Bruns being the best fit for Mount Vernon."
The interview committee included Wallace, head girls' basketball coach Dennis Roloff, physical education teachers and coaches Aaron Truitt and Joe Peters, and high school teacher Thad Wilkins.
Bruns, who lives in Fairfax, wrote in his cover letter that his "enthusiasm, passion, work ethic and concern for student athletes would make me a valuable asset to the Mount Vernon School District."
Over 22 years of coaching basketball, cross country and track, Bruns said he studied under some great coaches and teachers of the game, including Timm.
He wrote that he'll bring the following to Mount Vernon:
• A program based on team attitude, fundamentals, intensity, competitiveness, concern for all players in the program, and a mission of success.
• Total preparation of the players, coaching staff, and youth league coaches.
• Teaching the game with confidence and discipline.
• Having a desire to learn, or a sense of purpose in everything the team does, both in the classroom and on the court.
• Evaluation and clear communication of expectations/goals to the players, coaching staff and parents.
• Developing leaders - servant leaders, vocal leaders and leaders by example.
A 1986 graduate of College Community Schools, Bruns earned a degree in history from Coe College in 1990 and obtained teacher certification in 1993.
He's been the head boys' sophomore coach at Mount Vernon since 2011, and also was a substitute teacher in the district from 2003 to 2006. He taught at Xavier High School, and at Regis and LaSalle high schools before those Catholic schools combined into Xavier.
He's coached basketball at Marion (assistant boys' coach, 2010-11); Cedar Rapids Prairie (assistant boys' coach in 2001-02 and from 2006 to 2010); Xavier (head coach from 1998 to 2001); and LaSalle (sophomore boys' coach from 1990 to 1996, and head boys' coach in 1997). He's also coached cross country and track.